It gained’t be lengthy earlier than you begin up your air conditioner for the primary time this spring (should you haven’t achieved so already). However what in case your AC smells musty and ugly after sitting unused all winter? Air conditioner smells can occur for a variety of causes.
Let’s check out what may cause that musty scent coming out of your AC vents (or the unit itself) and the way to do away with it.
Why your AC smells musty
When an air conditioner smells musty, it’s an indication of moisture the place it doesn’t belong. Moist circumstances enable mildew to develop, resulting in that musty odor.
The query is, the place are the moisture and the mould coming from? It might be one (or extra) of the next:
- Your ducts. Constructed-up mud and dirt in your HVAC ducts, together with amassed moisture, may cause a musty scent that spreads via your house together with heated or cooled air.
- The unit. You probably have a though-the-wall kind air-con system, moisture could have amassed within the unit. Mildew spores can get in and develop because the air warms, bringing nasty smells if you flip in your AC.
- Water leaks some other place. It’s doable that the musty scent could also be coming from some other place in your house. It might be a poorly ventilated lavatory, locker room, or storage space that has a return duct delivering smelly air again into your AC system. You probably have plumbing points and water leaks someplace, poor HVAC design can create airflow circumstances that unfold odors in all places.
You most likely already know that attempting to masks air conditioner smells with sprays or scented candles isn’t going to do away with the issue. Right here’s what to do as a substitute.
3 steps to do away with air conditioner smells
Listed here are 3 steps to take in case your AC smells musty:
1. Have your AC system inspected and completely cleaned
Begin by bringing in knowledgeable HVAC technician to take a look at your system parts. He’ll change clogged filters and spot indicators of water leaks and mildew progress that might be inflicting odors. You may need condensate fluid leaking, a drain ache that’s overflowing, or different subject that’s gone undetected for lengthy sufficient to permit mildew to develop.
This will simply occur should you haven’t had your system maintained for some time. Air con upkeep prevents points like this as a result of the issues that trigger them get fastened earlier than any harm is completed. (That’s why it’s referred to as preventative upkeep.)
Residential techniques ought to get upkeep a minimum of annually, ideally within the spring earlier than you begin it up for the primary time. Industrial air-con techniques may have upkeep extra steadily, relying on the utilization circumstances. It pays to speak to the consultants and get a suggestion.
In case you’re within the NYC metro space, Arista may help. Right here’s a straightforward method to get an estimate for a business or luxurious residential upkeep settlement.
2. Clear your HVAC ducts
In case your gear is working effectively and doesn’t have any water leaks, the musty scent could also be coming from the ducts that distribute cooled air all through your house. (That’s assuming you’ve gotten a ducted system.)
Your HVAC technician can check out your ducts once they examine your gear, and they are able to see moisture and even mildew progress. If that’s the case, you’ll want to usher in duct cleansing consultants to wash and sanitize your ducts.
Get our helpful guide to be taught extra about the advantages of duct cleansing for enhancing indoor air high quality.
3. Restore water leaks and modify airflow
In case your AC smells unhealthy however your gear and ducts are positive, it’s time to look elsewhere in your house for the supply of the odor. If water leaks are discovered, clearly you’ll must get that taken care of to do away with the musty scent.
However why does the scent appear to be coming out of your AC? The reply is air stream. Your HVAC system is designed to maneuver conditioned air all through your house. However generally it could unfold odors together with the air shifting via the ducts.
Air stream is one thing that may be managed with correct air flow and HVAC design. Discuss to your HVAC technician about this when you have ongoing odor issues. You would possibly profit from shifting ductwork, including followers, or including air flow to make your house scent contemporary once more.